Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Musical Journey Part 1

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Probably because I spent so much time by myself on the airplane and in hotels and stuff.

All of my memories growing up include music in one way or another. My parents both played piano - mom plays the recorder and used to play the violin and a little guitar. Both of them really love music. My mom got me started early with the recorder and singing - neither of which I can do now. My folks had a good size record collection and music was a very regular thing in our house. All kinds of music too. They loved classical and opera the most but they played the Rolling Stones and other rock acts of the times, some dance stuff, and plenty of music that was popular when they were young. Fortunately for me, they were very open minded.

Both of my grandfathers were accomplished musicians. My mom's father was self taught on the piano and guitar. He was extremely gifted - he had a wonderful ear for music. My father's father was apparently very skilled as well. I never met him since he died 5 years before I was born but from what I've heard he had some chops.
My Aunt Julie plays guitar and this autoharp gizmo. My cousin Charlie plays guitar and mandolin.

Basically, I've always been around music, musicians, and have been fortunate to have family that was pretty supportive.

1 comment:

emily said...

Okay... I'm reading your blog backwards so I started with Pt.2.
Again, awesome entry!
I wish more kids these days could have families that embrace all kinds of music and make it a priority. Good times.