Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Second Stage Turbine Blade - Coheed & Cambria

This is a very fun disc. I've been reading about these guys from time to time in guitar magazines. So I picked this one up. I totally get the comparison to Geddy Lee on the vocals. I think this guy has more of an edge to his voice but the Geddy-vibe is definitely there. There isn't a whole lot of blazing lead guitar on this disc but the guitar work is solid. The tunes are good modern rockers. The best way to describe the sound is: clean. I don't mean the guitar tones are clean, but the rather the production. Not a lot of effects. Every part is very clear and natural sounding. It doesn't sound like someone spent months shaping the sound in ProTools. IOW, it sounds like a BAND.

The song writing is very good. Straight ahead with a few interesting twists now and again to keep it interesting.

The Hippie rating is 8 out of 10.