Thursday, January 22, 2004

Wow! I finally found one

My first "real" electric guitar was a used 1978 Fender Telecaster with an Antigua finish. I remeber my dad paid $175 for it - seemed like a lot of money to me back in 1979 or so. It probably was. Any how, it's worth 10 times that now. I was an idiot and traded it away and have prety much regretted it for 20 years. I've never run across one again in that finish. A few have come by on the Internet but they were beat to hell and the finishes had turned a nasty color over time.

In 2003, Fender reissued the Antigua Telecaster and Stratocaster. I bought them both. They're decent guitars but not the same as the originals. The paint jobs are all wrong. I already sold the Stratocaster (thank goodness for Ebay).

Then the other day I found a real one:

[link]

The dealer swears the thing is practically mint. The color is right and not the nasty avocado green most of them turn into. I've asked about the dealer and he's apparently a straight shooter - pricey, but that's to be expected for this guitar.

I want this guitar!