Monday, December 22, 2003

Why the retailers are in trouble

On the news I keep hearing that retailers are dreading another slow season. With the holidays upon us naturally I've been doing the same thing as a lot of people. I've been Christmas shopping.

The retailers are right. They aren't having a good season. I've been to several large and popular malls, electronics stores, department stores and specialty shops.

Some of it has been great, I just breeze in and find a parking space no problem.

Then I get in the stores and it's like a big freakin' joke.

The attitude of the folks working in these stores is pathetic. This has been the worst customer service I have ever experienced during the holidays. And that is saying a lot considering I grew up outside of Washington, DC and have seen my share of rude sales people.

Then there's the prices. Who are these people kidding? I go from store to store and they all have the same CRAP and it's WAY over priced. I know for a fact that some stuff I've been looking at was cheaper last month. WTF? Let's see if I understand this strategy. They can't unload the item all year at say 20 bucks. So for the holidays they jack the price up to 25 bucks. Makes sense to me.

So I've turned to Ebay and other online merchants. The selection is better. The information is better. The folks that I've talked to on the phone to order things have been pleasant and efficient (this time of year I don't take chances with a web site's notion of "in stock").

It's funny, the retailers say that online shopping won't take them over because of the customer service that only a local store can provide. Sure, guys. You cling to that thought if that's what you need to get through the day.

Here's my current case study: I've been looking for an item for a while for my wife. Several local retailers have various models available. I go to these stores and get treated like a dog. I'm not being pushy or anything. In fact, I have been exceptionally calm this holiday season because I decided I wasn't going to let anything bother me. At one store, I can't get any service at all and I don't want to interfere with the jovial grab ass that the 4 salesmen are playing in the middle of the store. I left. Another store, they're swamped so I just wait my turn. I can't believe how rude the salespeople are to the other customers. My moment comes and I ask a couple questions and I get the rolling-eyes treatment. Buh-bye. I should point out that the thing I'm interested in is not cheap and is substantially marked up so there should be a nice commission - it's not the Hope diamond but it ain't a pair of ear muffs either. One store I walked into was the worst. The salesman was at the back of the store, I'm wondering around he just stares, doesn't ask if he could help or anything. So I ask him if they have the item and he says there is one in the window but they're sold out. I go look in the window and there it is - exactly what I want. The right features, the right look, etc. I ask if he'll sell me the one in the window and he just says "nah". So I ask if any of their other stores have them in stock - "prolly not". Of course he says this in the crappiest tone he possibly can. That store will never get my business. Ever. Screw them. After a few more unsuccessful stops I decide to bag it and try my luck online. So I spent a while poking around on the web and found several options. Read a few reviews. You know the drill here.

I ended up getting the same model as the the display that jerk wouldn't sell me. By the miracles of overnight shipping it will be here before Christmas. Even after paying overnight shipping, I saved over $150.

Me: Knock, knock.

Retailers: Knock, knock, who?

silence...

Retailers: Knock, knock, who?

silence...

Retailers: C'mon guys, knock, knock, who?

silence...

Retailers: Hey, why are you boarding up my windows?