Friday, December 12, 2003

You've Got Music! (or The Saga of the Audiotron)

So I've had this Audiotron gizmo for a while now. In a nutshell, it is a device that plugs into your stereo system that will play music from your PC over your home network. When I first got it I hooked it up over my wireless network and all was well. However, then came XBox Live! for online gaming and I hooked up the Xbox to the wireless ethernet bridge that the Audiotron was using. Along the way I picked up another wireless bridge but never got around to hooking it up. So the Audiotron had not been turned on in many, many months.

Fast forward to my father's trip over Thanksgiving. We were at Fry's and I decided to get some speakers so we could have tunes upstairs (I already had a spare receiver). Pop generously bought my Christmas present early and I got some nice new speakers.

Note: since the last time the Audiotron was on, I had changed my wireless router and cable modem.

So I hook the Audiotron back up to my spare receiver and the new speakers. Everything seemed to work. Then it hung. I reset the thing. Fine for a while again. Then it hung. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Of course, this was happening just as Melissa was getting into the thing!

Well after updating the firmware in EVERY stinking device it all works great. What a pain but worth it. It is totally cool to have 11,000 songs at your fingertips. The Audiotron has a fairly primitive user interface but it is flexible enough to where you don't mind. Some of the newer devices are looking very cool like the Prismiq.